Beach Reading

Beach Reading
Beach Reading

Monday, February 2, 2015

The Boogie Man Is My Friend: Behind The Shield by Kathryn Loving




"Many people have asked me over the years if being a police officer was difficult. I guess at times it was, but I didn't think of it that way.  It became a part of me, who I had become.

During my career in law enforcement I think my response may have evolved over the years to a description of "police work is automatic."  The latter answer made me pause and think once it spewed of arrogance which was not the meaning I intended.  The old man who had asked me the familiar question was puzzled.  I guess I had been doing it for so many years that the work had become automatic, but not as a negative connotation.  The man was the last person to hear that explanation.  That was my last day of work.

To me, automatic meant it was a part of me - it was who I was (in true Popeye speak).  Once something is a part of you, you don't have to analyze everything or evaluate each step of the challenges you faced as an officer.  You reacted in a natural way with ease and you gave quick responses and intelligent solutions.  After I finished police work, I was still posed that question.  People are curious by nature of the profession.  I began to answer those questions with, "It was perfect for me.  I like to help people."  It was a somewhat indirect answer to a direct question.

As the years wore on, the more deviant a person was in a case, the more he or she fascinated me.  The more bizarre, the more I wanted to be on scene.  Extraordinary became the new ordinary.  Police work truly is the front row seat to pure entertainment and I bathed in it.  I wrote down all those events - some ordinary, some not so.  What does that mean since my definition of ordinary might not be the norm?  In fact, your extraordinary may be my ordinary.  I guess you will have to read the book to find out."


I truly enjoyed this book.  I became familiar with this author by reading her blog "The Boogie Man is My Friend" (http://mommafargo.blogspot.com).  In this book, she shares some of the escapades that she and her brothers and sisters in blue were involved in.  I admire her honesty and courage, she shares her thoughts and actions where alot of officers wouldn't.  This is a book that I would highly recommend to anyone that enjoys reading about true crime.  I look forward to reading more of her fiction and non-fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am still new at this blogging thing, so if you have any friendly suggestions on how to make my blog more enjoyable please feel free to let me know. All other friendly comments are also accepted. Be warned, I will block any comments that are mean spirited, hateful, or vulgar.