Beach Reading

Beach Reading
Beach Reading

Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Ruby Slippers: The Road Back to Kansas By Tracy Seeley



Sure, there's no place like home -- but what if you can't really pinpoint where home is? By the time she was nine, Tracy Seeley had lived in seven towns and thirteen different houses. Her father's dreams of movie stardom, stoked by a series of affairs, kept the family on edge, and on the move, until he up and left. Thirty years later, settled in what seems like a charmed life in San Francisco, a diagnosis of cancer and the betrayal of a lover shake Seeley to her roots -- roots she is suddenly determined to search out. My Ruby Slippers tells the story of that search, the tale of a woman with an impassioned if vague sense of mission: to find the meaning of home.


Seeley finds herself in a Kansas that defies memory, a place far more complex and elusive than the sum of its cultural myths. On back roads and in her many back years, Seeley also finds unexpected forgiveness for her errant father, and, in the face of mortality, a sense of what it means to be rooted in place, to dwell deeply in the only life we have.


~My thoughts on this book~


I wanted to read and review this book because it hit close to home with me. I am a five year cancer survivor myself. I was touched in many ways by the words in this book more times than I can say. Facing cancer does give a person a new outlook on life.

http://youtube.be/CzHmrsqraRl














Photobucket






No comments:

Post a Comment

I am still new at this blogging thing, so if you have any friendly suggestions on how to make my blog more enjoyable please feel free to let me know. All other friendly comments are also accepted. Be warned, I will block any comments that are mean spirited, hateful, or vulgar.